Tips to Prevent Bike Theft or to Help You if Theft Happens
April 18, 2016
- Use locks that are theft proof. Do research and purchase a lock that comes with insurance, such as the Abus locks.
- If possible, store your bike in a safe location, preferably in a locked area.
- If you are leaving your bike unattended on the back of a vehicle, lock the bike to your vehicle.
- Never lock your bike by the front wheel only. Always lock your bike with two quality locks — preferably a U-lock and a cable lock.
- To be safe, take the extra step of removing the seat or a wheel.
- Ensure you have a photo of the bike and record the serial number so that if the bike is stolen, it can be identified if located.
- Insure your bikes. Your house insurance or renters insurance will cover your bikes up to a certain value if theft happens outside your home. Talk to your insurance provider.